National Junior Basketball is a nonprofit organization that was founded in 1984 by Dennis Murphy, Jr. As a coach at Garden Grove High School in Orange County, California, Murphy had the vision of creating a youth basketball league based on sportsmanship and player development.
NJB has blossomed into a national youth league with over 25,000 participants in 6 states. For those in 1st and 2nd grade, a Rookie League is provided that stresses the fundamentals of the game and provides tools for personal growth. The core of the organization is centered on the Divisional Play Program that is open for all boys and girls who wish to participate and are in 2nd through 8th grade. For individuals with an advanced skill set, the All-Net Program acts as a supplement to the Divisional Program for those in 4th through 8th grade. The program provides additional training to prepare them for high school basketball in the future.
The High School League offers high competition and skill training for players in grades 9-12 who did not make their high school team.
NJB Mission Statement
To inspire our youth; regardless of race, color, creed, or national origin. To practice the ideals of health, citizenship and character. To implant the game elements of safety, sanity, and intelligent supervision; and to keep the welfare of the player first, foremost, and entirely free of adult lust for glory. To emphasize teamwork for all participants.
Everyone is a winner at NJB!
Programs and Tournaments
Excellent training and rules clinics for game referees to establish strong working relationships between chapters and referee coordinators who actually assign certified NJB referees for all contests during the season.
Scheduling formats and procedures for chapters to follow during the regular season of competition.
All-Net program for chapters with full administration in scheduling, uniforms, shoes, facilities and post-season tournaments.
High School Leagues for players who desire to participate, and are not playing for their High School Teams.
The Championship Series-The largest team tournament in the nation for all NJB teams only. Attracts over 800 teams.
Area and sectional all-Star tournament for girls and boys.
National All-Star Tournament-This event culminates the winter season with the best teams competing for the National Title.
The official Blue book Book governing the NJB chapters, containing the constitution and bylaws.
Maps of schools and directory of membership.
The official Parent Book, outlining the philosophy and guideline of NJB.
The NJB Newsletters published tri-yearly, providing information on upcoming events.
Chapter, Area, and Sectional operational manuals. Coaches Booklets to assist coaches during the season.
The National coaches Clinics – the teaching tool for the coaches and players. The coaches Handbook, outlining the duties and responsibilities of the NJB coaches.
NJB Promotes Sportsmanship
- To acquaint the players with the fundamentals of the game.
- To teach proper shooting, passing, dribbling and defense.
- To teach good sportsmanship and teamwork concepts during the season.
- To insure that each team is equal in talent and size by enforcing a draft system throughout the entire program. The Griffin method shall be implemented.
Code of Ethics
- Remember that a basketball game is only a game – not the end of the world for the NJB players, coaches, parents, and all participants.
- Acknowledge that NJB promotes the physical, mental, spiritual, moral and emotional soundness of the individual players.
- Understand and accept the rules and regulations of the game.
- Respect the integrity and judgment of the game referees.
- Create an enjoyable atmosphere for all visitors and guests during NJB games.
- Always demonstrate friendly and courteous attitudes toward opponents and game referees.
- Play fairly and strive for good values.
- Emphasize good sportsmanship.
- All adults should conduct their behavior in a positive fashion. Adults are role models for our NJB players.
- Spectators shall never harass the game referees or players or coaches. Cheer every good play, no matter who makes it. Praise our children, and please always recognize the good and never the bad!
- Players shall play for the love of the game – winning without extreme ego, losing without excuses, and never quit.
- Encourage leadership, use of initiative, and good judgment.
The NJB Prayer
Dear Heavenly Father, we pray that NJB will help develop clean competition, good sportsmanship and lasting friendships for all participants. We give praise to You for all the gifts you have given us. AMEN.